Saturday, February 05, 2005

 

A DEPARTURE FROM SECURITIES

Another week and I still feel like I'm on vacation. With the exception of an 8-5 work week and an office...I leave work and it seems I should be packing up to go home any day now...

The great thing about entering a new country or a new place is the loss of alot of securities. Sure, many would call that making lemonade out lemons but truly there is much to be said of recreating habits, routine, and securities.

I haven't had a cell phone now for almost two weeks. This weekend I was moved to a one bedroom, cozy apartment with an incredible view but without a phone (see the picture post). For the first time since I can remember I have been without access to a phone (for use) for a whole day (other than travelling). That is a security that I had no idea existed...until it wasn't there. IT WAS GREAT! What's more is the timex watch that I've had to wear began to run a little slow...so, no watch! All day, no one expecting me to call, no meetings to attend, no place to go. Needless to say there were some moments of panic.

So, check out this place. AFRICA?! What the? I still can't believe the views.

A note on the side of reality. There has been so much time to contemplate and think and to pray. Quietness and solitude are scary things for me. Setting aside time or having time to 'work through' things has challenged my faith. C.S. Lewis' 'The Great Divorce' and 'Out of the Silent Planet' have been some incredible resources...

Comments:
No phone, no watch? I've been doing that for years. Okay, okay, I have a phone. But Dan Isaacson hasn't ever had a watch.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?