Tuesday, February 15, 2005

 

My Dear Wormwood...

“And now for your blunders. On your own showing you first of all allowed the patient to read a book he really enjoyed, because he enjoyed it and not in order to make clever remarks about it to his new friends. In the second place, you allow him to walk down to the old mill and have tea there—a walk through country he really likes, and taken alone. In other words you allowed him two real positive Pleasures. Were you so ignorant as not to see the danger of this? The characteristic of Pains and Pleasures is that they are unmistakably real, and therefore, as far as they go, give the man who feels them a touchstone of reality…”
--C.S. Lewis 'The Screwtape Letters"

Leaving home, leaving security, leaving alot of familiar things has given me a new opportunity to enjoy some real Pleasures. C.S. Lewis' 'Affectionate Uncle Screwtape' really helps me see the medicating process of enjoying quiet walks and good books...And yes, I have made clever remarks about them...(By the way, Uncle Screwtape is a demon who is trying to 'mess-up' his patient--that may explain the negative tone)

This time here hasn't been without loss and some heartache. Each day is filled with a bit of grief and at times discouragement. However, I have to admit that more than simple Pleasure itself, the quiet and solitude has really allowed me to enjoy my faith, my God and my relationship with Him. I regret not enjoying more sunsets in prayer and contemplation--I hope to make up for that in the coming weeks..

I started running--Yes, that may be my most popular conversation starter in my whole life... We'll see if I can ever hold a conversation in regards to my 'running habits' after a few months. I'm working my way up. I have found that I can run farther and faster here than in the states. I run 3 kilometers here in about 15 minutes...It used to take me that long just to run 2 miles in the states...Well, either way it makes me feel like I'm running more.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?