Tuesday, November 15, 2005

 

Meeting a King

A lot happened in October but it is all dwarfed by this event…I still am contemplating the meeting and what took place.

Thursday, November 10, Dr. Chris Mulder walks into my office and asks, “Quincy, have you ever met a king?!” To which I reply, “…no…” He then belts out, “…Get ready, you’re going to meet one on Saturday…” I can’t really repeat what I said after that…

What do you say? I thought it was a joke…I didn’t know people met kings…And what do you do when you meet a king? After all, I’m in South Africa and the best I’ve done is shaking former President George Bush’s hand…Oh, I played Golf with Andy Edwards too…

So, I’ve met the King of the Bafokeng Tribe one of the wealthiest men in South Africa and the wealthiest tribe in South Africa. It was unfortunate Dr. Mulder couldn’t attend, and his son, the lead architect in the office (Steff Mulder) had to be at another meeting…In fact, everyone was booked but me and my compadre—Guillaume. Third stringers sent into pinch hit…yes…it was an opportunity of a lifetime…

Guillaume, featured in the ‘Rugby Fan’ post of this blog…is quite a character. We represented alright I felt. I shook the King’s hand and we took pictures. What a crazy morning…and both of us are still just astounded at the fact that we met a real life king…

Which brings me back to my point…and I still can’t believe it all. A year ago, I’m in Tucson, Arizona…living, working, carrying on…I couldn’t even have imagined in my craziest schemes (and I had some crazy ones) that I would meet a King and discuss a project at Kurland Polo … And I can only attribute it to one thing—far from my selfish and shallow ambitions…God’s sovereignty and His grace. What an exciting life to have and to know that He leads and guides me to adventures like this…despite me getting in the way sometimes.

It really sets the standard…I can’t settle for less than this kind of adventure now…

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?