Monday, January 30, 2006

 

South African Road Trippin’

I’ve driven a VW from Upstate New York to Texas and thought I had road trippin’ down to a fine art…I’ve driven part of the historic coast of Turkey and clocked up some pretty good road trips in Anatolia…But nothing really compares to an adventure up the Wild Coast of South Africa…Which begs the question…Why do they call it the ‘Wild Coast’?


Two close calls, several head of cattle, a dead horse (in the middle of nowhere) and a run in with the law…I’ve graduated to another level of driving…I was pulled over for illegally crossing—that officially brings my count up to ** and three continents…I plead the same every time: It was for the sake of civil safety…This time it really was…

Anyway...Before I left on this trip I explained the itinerary to several individuals who gave me crazy looks and found my plans entertaining—little did they know I’m a professional. My friend Guillaume was once again a source of inspiration and encouragement…and he was willing to half the gas as long as we made a detour to see his girlfriend…So, I left with my Teal Mobile and saw some incredible things. It really was the best way to see South Africa and I made note of where I would like to spend some more time.

Umtata didn’t make the list.

However, Durban did, and definitely Howick and maybe Mooi Nooi again someday to meet the McConnells again…

The trip lasted a good several days. We both stopped in Gauteng (Johannesburg/Pretoria/Traffic) and spent time with friends or family for Christmas before heading home through the Karoo and the Free State…And there is plenty of reason to call it the Free State…almost 7 hours of freedom…

We arrived in Knysna in good shape and with some great memories…I’m proud to say that I learned a little Afrikaans with the whole experience.

“Vees Yo Pappa?!” (spelled phonetically)

There is so much more to this trip than what I’ve written but I don’t think I could explain it all. And it was much more than driving and seeing things from behind the wheel. I had a chance to see some great things and took some amazing pictures and make some cool memories… Posted by Picasa

Comments:
i remember hiking around a beautiful island once, in pursuit of a monastary...and coming up on a dead horse being eaten by wild dogs, that was a long day.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?